Roundtable Staff Objectives
Roundtables are a form of commissioner service and supplemental training for volunteers at all levels. The objective of roundtables is to give leaders program ideas; information on policy, events, and training opportunities; and an opportunity to share experiences and enjoy fun and fellowship with other Scouting leaders. The roundtable commissioner and staff demonstrate elements of a model meeting that leaders may use as a pattern for their own meetings. The roundtable experience will inspire, motivate, and enable unit leaders to provide a stronger program for their Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, Webelos and Boy Scouts.
Monthly from September to May
The First Thursday night of the month
7 PM - 8 PM
Saint Luke’s United Methodist Church, Danville VA
If you are a Scouting Unit in the Dan River/Halifax Area and would like to add an event to the calendar, please send details to me in an email. You can email me by clicking HERE
Dan River District Calendar (There is more stuff below calendar)
Click event for more details
Friday, September 3, 2010
On Sunday, October 10th at 3.p.m. Danville's 3rd CROP Hunger Walk will be held to show our love and active concern for neighbors in need. By our sponsored walking we'll be raising funds to change the world in real & measurable ways -- digging wells that will bring clean water to cities; providing seeds & tools so people can grow their own food; helping communities & families rebuild after disasters like Hurricane Katrina : with CROP walks we ARE making a difference. Offering both a 1K & a 5K we'll start and end at Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church where we will offer water & snacks, live entertainment and an opportunity to shop at a SERRV Sale (fair trade gift goods). Supporting our local God's Storehouse, we hope you'll step up or sponsor, but join in the effort.
Our KICK-OFF party will be held at Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church on Thursday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. where you will be able to come and collect your materials.
For more information email us at email@example.com or search for "Danville Area CROP Walk" on Facebook.
Marie-Louise Crane2010 Danville Area CROP Hunger Walk Planning Team Recruitment Chair
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Pledge of Allegiance, Invocation, Welcome
- Tonight: Leader Specific Training during breakout
- 8th: OA Chapter Meeting
- 9th: District Committee Meeting
- 13th: Online Popcorn Orders are due by 5pm
- 18th: Super Saturday Training Blitz - Barry Thompson
- 24th: Popcorn Sales begin, Units pick up popcorn at Dan Valley Warehouse from 12-5pm, POPS Team meet at warehouse at 9am.
- 25th: Railroad Merit Badge Class
- 28th: Scout Night at Chick-Fil-A on Riverside Drive - Bill Oswald
- 30th: Leader Specific Training - Barry Thompson
- 2nd: Spookoree - Brett Jackson or Bill Oswald
- 7th: Roundtable - Scouts Service for the Handicapped
- 10th: CROP Hunger Walk - Marie-Louise Crane 770-0136, This will support God's Storehouse the BS can participate. Please contact Mrs. Crane for more information.
- 16th: Piedmont Mall Scouting Open House - Bill Oswald
Commissioner Fun (7:15) If time allows
To Maintain A Healthy Level Of Insanity
1.. At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They slow Down.
2. Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!
3. Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask If They Want Fries with that.
4. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks . Once Everyone has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch to Espresso.
6. Skip down the hall Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.
7. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.
8. Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is 'To Go'.
9. Sing Along At The Opera.
10. Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You have a headache.
11. When The Money Comes Out The ATM, Scream 'I Won! I Won!'
12. When Leaving the Zoo, Start Running towards the Parking lot, Yelling 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'
13. Tell Your Scouts on the next Campout, 'Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go.'
Boy Scout [and Cub Scout] Program (7:20)
Commissioners Roll Call
- Make sure everyone has signed roll sheet and checked for email and phone numbers.
- JD Emerson will do a presentation on Scuba Diving in Danville
Commissioners Minute (8:10)
Paul the Apostle made this charge to a young man that he had taken under his wing: Love others, keep a clean mind and live by faith. He was giving this young man three principle that he could use to guide his life and our scouts can use these same principles. Love others by helping others at all times, being trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, and brave. He can keep a clean mind by being clean in what he reads, clean in what he listens to and always being mentally awake to the dangers in this world around him. He can live by faith by being reverent and in his duty to God and living by the principles laid down in his word. Charge your scouts to do these things, but remember, your examples is the best teacher.