Roundtable Staff Objectives

Roundtables are a form of commissioner service and supplemental training for volunteers at all levels. The objective of roundtables is to give leaders program ideas; information on policy, events, and training opportunities; and an opportunity to share experiences and enjoy fun and fellowship with other Scouting leaders. The roundtable commissioner and staff demonstrate elements of a model meeting that leaders may use as a pattern for their own meetings. The roundtable experience will inspire, motivate, and enable unit leaders to provide a stronger program for their Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, Webelos and Boy Scouts.

Meeting Times:

Monthly from September to May

The First Thursday night of the month

7 PM - 8 PM

Saint Luke’s United Methodist Church, Danville VA

If you are a Scouting Unit in the Dan River/Halifax Area and would like to add an event to the calendar, please send details to me in an email. You can email me by clicking HERE

Dan River District Calendar (There is more stuff below calendar)

Click event for more details

Click Here for Larger Calendar Page

Commissioners Corner Pages

Summit Shakedown 2012

Monday, February 9, 2009

February Roundtable 2009

What a great time at Roundtable this month. First of all my wife favored me with her company, which due to a family illness has been fairly limited these past months, and helped me with the setup and take down of all the props. We set up the chuck box that we take when we go camping as a family (it looks a lot like a troop chuck box) and our two man tent from Eureka. We laid the fliers on the table and had everything ready by the time Roundtable started. The GORP bars that I pulled off of Sarah's blog were a great success and so were the cotton ball fire starters from the Scoutmaster blog. I hope you guys don't mind me using your ideas, I do give you credit for them. We had more adult leaders there than I have seen in a long time and that was a real encouragement for me as RT Commissioner. My goal was to increase attendance and help the program at the same time. We had a representative from our local scout store to come and show us the gear that he stocks in his inventory. JR from JR's Outdoor Gear was a great addition to the nights activities and the leaders had lots of questions about the equipment. JR made one statement that sticks in my mind, "If you are going to enjoy the outdoors, why not enjoy it". He was referring to the gear that he sells, and he is right. When I first started 'enjoying the outdoors' with scouts in 2003, I looked for my gear in Wal-Mart and other places and soon discovered that some of my gear just was not cutting the mustard. So I went to see JR and he talked with me and gave me what I call a quick education in what kind of gear was available and what he thought I might need.
Well, I purchased some of his gear, and I also purchased some online. Great gear makes for a great outdoor experience. Next month we will get into the backpacking side of the outdoors and in April we will be covering the subject of Rock Climbing. I am excited about these meetings and hope to excite the leaders in our area.

David Hyler
Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner

If you really want to do something, You will make a way. If you don't, You will make an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Search

Custom Search